Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Book Three - The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank was a decent read. I have read this before, but I had absolutely no recollection of the plot when I picked it up off my shelf, so I thought that I would give it a go and see why it was so forgettable.

To be fair, I have a touch of PTSD and so I can be prone to memory loss.

The novel was pretty good, a bit twee at times and a bit too snappy for its own good. But I found that the narrator, Jane, was quite relatable. I am also a "funny" type of gal who doesn't quite feel that she measures up to the beauty types. I do enjoy this type of novel, or at least I have in the past. I guess I am a sucker for a romance.

However, in this novel, Jane meets the "Mr Right" character very late in the tale. There was a whole chapter dedicated to some random neighbours and their dinner party, unless I am mistaken they didn't come into play later in the plot. The story would have been well served to have left that part out and gave us more of the story of Jane and "Mr Right". I guess I want a bit more than the happily ever after bullshit.

1 comment:

  1. This is lit-ra-lly (as Rachel Zoe would say) one of my favorite books of all time. I have a weakness for interconnected short stories. Please don't watch the movie very loosely based on it (Sarah Michelle Gellar is Jane, Alec Baldwin is the older guy). You will want to gouge your eyeballs out. I think what I loved best though were the quotes at the beginning of each story. And how utterly hapless Jane was.

    ReplyDelete