Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Alli's CBR-III Review #33 - Wild Abandon

Last night I finished reading "Wild Abandon" by Joe Dunthorne. It promised to be a tale about a commune in England at the time of the end of the world. The tag line on the cover was "The last day on earth is coming, bring your own booze".

I was pretty disappointed in this book, I found it pretty uneventful and I just rushed through the second half just to be done with it. I am pretty fascinated with apocalyptic tales and sadly in this case it was more metaphorical end of the world and that just didn't do it for me.

If it had just been sold to me as a tale of life in a commune, a coming of age tale of two siblings and the adults in the community, then I may have been less disappointed. The writing was decent, but the pace was rather slow, and there wasn't really much plot to speak of. All in all, I am sure that I will forget all about it in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment