Monday, June 18, 2012

Book 29 - Nerd Do Well



Much like Simon Pegg's feelings about the new Star Wars movies, I really wanted to love this book but I just couldn't quite make it there. "Shaun of the Dead" is one of my favorite movies, and "Spaced" is a real gem, so when I found out that Pegg had written a book I made sure to get my hands on it. "Nerd Do Well" tells us the tales mostly of Pegg's formative years. Overall they were entertaining, if not a bit confusing as the time frame jumped back and forth and it was hard to keep track of what era we were in.

The book spends the majority of the time in Pegg's younger years, detailing his entrance into the performing arts as well as his romantic exploits and other various tales from his youth. He goes into great detail of his school years, and it is admirable the amount of detail that he remembers from that time (especially in light of the indications of the amount of weed that he smoked in his later years).

Interspersed within is the book that apparently Pegg really wanted to write, it is a spy novel sort of thing where Pegg makes himself out to be a devastatingly handsome sex-magnet with a custom built robot butler. I found it quite amusing at first, but as it went on I just lost interest and skimmed through it.

Overall, I found it worth reading, but it just wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. There is just something really likable about Pegg and it does come through on the page. I just found it a bit lacking, in what I am not sure, but something was just not there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment